Sunday, April 27, 2014

Drunk on Spring!

Sweet Woodruff or Galium Odoratum is a lovely little Springtime ground cover herb. It's tiny ghost white flowers smell like vanilla. Mine blooms in May here. And according to folklore heals, protects and helps you prosper. 
On May first it is traditional in many Countries to drink May Wine to welcome Spring and the return to gardening and warmer weather. May Wine has been traditionally made with white wine infused with sweet woodruff and strawberries.  Above is one I found by Galena Wine Cellars.
I also found this one with a lovely label! Brotherhood makes this one. So why not join in the fun put up a Maypole, have a bonfire and drink some May Wine. Oh and don't forget to grow some sweet woodruff!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely tradition. I should learn more about May Wines. I need more Springtime traditions, thanks for giving me info about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have never heard of woodruff ;o) Thanks Becca ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete