Thursday, February 18, 2010

What is that?

This is one of the most famous example of what is known as a garden folly. The skeleton that is in my garden is an example of such a folly. The item severs no purpose in the garden except to entertain the gardener. Garden follies are one of my favorite garden features. I have a long list of things that I would love to put in the yard, if I get to have them all, I will need a bigger yard :D

This particular one is in Scotland near Falkirk (between Edinburgh and Glasgow) and although I have been there and have taken pictures....this is not my photo. I can build Halloween props and garden....but I am not a talented photographer :) The pineapple is carved on the top of what was a garden pavilion, but can now be rented for holidays (vacations.)

Here is a little background on this particular folly.

The Pineapple (photograph by Ronnie Blackadder)

The Pineapple is one of Scotland's most famous follies. It is a huge stone replica of the fruit, beautifully carved to reproduce all the features of the real thing. It sits on top of a garden pavilion erected in 1761 by John Murray the 4th Earl of Dunmore, and stands some 45 feet above ground level on the south slope and 37 feet on the north. The pineapple part was probably added around 1777 when the Earl returned to Scotland after serving as Governor of the colonies of New York and Virginia. On the east coast of the American colonies the pineapple was a symbol of welcome and often the planters from the West Indies, who had big mansions in New York and New England, would place a real pineapple on their gate post as a sign that they were home and ready to receive visitors. Murray returned to the Americas after the War of Independence as Governor of the Bahamas where pineapples were a major product. It is just possible that the stone Pineapple was erected during or after his time there which would place it in the late 1780s or early 90s.

This is not a particularly creepy example, but it is one of the better examples, I will be sharing some more creepy follies in the coming posts.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see them! There are some amazing things out there! Here's my very favorite one in the world. I found out how this artist made the giant troll and would love to do it in my garden when I'm feeling ambitious..
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZyD0X1Hs3Wc/SUsLCuk4TdI/AAAAAAAAE4A/8B71Xvx7CKw/s400/Picture+4.png

    ReplyDelete
  2. That troll is a perfect example. Thanks for sharing!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pineapple on the pavilion! Very cool!

    Garden follies add such a wonderful element to any garden or outdoor area.

    And I absolutely love the troll!!! Must make one for our next place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in GB for several years and I was fortunate enough to be able to traipse through several rather abandoned "follies". the coolest one for me was in south Wales...it was just 'out there' in the fields/pasture with the cows...really fueled the imagination!

    ReplyDelete